This post contains affiliate links. All opinions are 100% my own.
The majority of us would love to improve our quality of sleep. So many of us toss and turn, not being able to fall asleep. And when we do fall asleep, we wake up during the night and have to start the whole process over again.
But we need good sleep to function effectively throughout the day. In fact, getting sleep is a form of self-care we all need.
I’ve tried so many things to help me sleep, from essential oils to eye masks, and these breathing techniques are life-changing! Here are 5 breathing techniques to help you fall asleep faster tonight.
5 Breathing Techniques to Help You Fall Asleep Faster Tonight
1. 4-7-8 EXERCISE
The 4-7-8 breath is also known as the relaxation breathing method, so it’ll work great for bedtime. You can also use this technique for any time you’re feeling stressed or have high anxiety.
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose for a count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
- Inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
2. ALTERNATE NOSTRILS
By alternating between each nostril for the inhale and exhale, the body and mind are said to achieve a sense of balance and neutrality.
- Close your right nostril with your right thumb.
- Breathe through the left nostril for five deep breaths.
- Uncover your right nostril and close your left nostril with your left thumb.
- Breathe through the right nostril for five deep breaths.
- Repeat cycle two more times for a total of three times.
3. DOUBLE THE EXHALE
Breathing techniques that have the exhale double the length of the inhale promote calming and restorative benefits.
- Lie on your back.
- Inhale through your nose for three seconds.
- Exhale out your mouth for six seconds.
- Repeat cycle until you fall asleep.
4. MEDITATIVE BREATH
Meditative breath is a classic breathing technique that you can also use throughout the day.
- Sit in a comfortable position.
- Inhale through your nose to full lung capacity.
- Exhale for the same count.
- Hold for two seconds between breaths and focus on your muscle relaxation.
- Keep focus by counting the seconds of each breath.
5. EXCEL AT LIFE AUDIOS
Excel at Life audios aren’t exactly a breathing technique, but they have so many relaxation audios that help my fall asleep with ease.
- Meadow Relaxation
- Magical Forest for Children
- Sunrise on the Beach Mindfulness
CHECK OUT THESE RELATED POSTS:
- 9 Ways to Have Anxiety Free Night’s Sleep
- 5 Bedtime Essentials for a Better Night’s Sleep
- 6 Easy Ways to Fall Asleep When You Can’t
Have you ever used breathing techniques to help you fall asleep? Which ones have you used?
If you are interested in starting your own blog, I highly recommend using Bluehost. At just $5.95 (originally $10.99) a month, you’ll get unlimited web hosting with unlimited transfer and space. You’ll also get your own domain, which is a really good deal. You’re going to want to be self-hosted if you want to earn an income from your blog.