DISCLOSURE: I am not a mental health professional. If you need help finding a mental health care provider, call 1-800-662-HELP (4357) or visit Online Therapy to call, message, or video chat a certified therapist online. This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also receive compensation from Online Therapy or other sources if you purchase products or services through the links provided on this page. You can read my full disclaimer.
I’ve tried so many things to help me sleep, from essential oils to eye masks, and these breathing exercises are life-changing at helping me fall asleep!
The majority of us would love to improve our quality of sleep.
So many of us toss and turn, not being able to fall asleep.
And when we do fall asleep, we wake up during the night and have to start the whole process over again.
But we need good sleep to function effectively throughout the day. In fact, getting sleep is a form of self-care we all need.
Here are 5 breathing techniques to help you fall asleep faster tonight.
5 Breathing Exercises to Fall Asleep Faster Tonight
1. 4-7-8 EXERCISE
The 4-7-8 breath is also known as the relaxation breathing method, so it’ll work great for bedtime.
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose for a count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
- Inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
You can also use this technique for any time you’re feeling stressed or have high anxiety.
2. ALTERNATE NOSTRILS
By alternating between each nostril for the inhale and exhale, the body and mind are said to achieve a sense of balance and neutrality.
- Close your right nostril with your right thumb.
- Breathe through the left nostril for five deep breaths.
- Uncover your right nostril and close your left nostril with your left thumb.
- Breathe through the right nostril for five deep breaths.
- Repeat the cycle two more times for a total of three times.
3. DOUBLE THE EXHALE
Breathing techniques that have the exhale double the length of the inhale promote calming and restorative benefits.
- Lie on your back.
- Inhale through your nose for three seconds.
- Exhale out your mouth for six seconds.
- Repeat cycle until you fall asleep.
4. MEDITATIVE BREATH
Meditative breath is a classic breathing technique that you can also use throughout the day.
- Sit in a comfortable position.
- Inhale through your nose to full lung capacity.
- Exhale for the same count.
- Hold for two seconds between breaths and focus on your muscle relaxation.
- Keep focus by counting the seconds of each breath.
5. EXCEL AT LIFE AUDIOS
Excel at Life audios aren’t exactly a breathing technique, but they have so many relaxation audios that help me fall asleep with ease.
- Meadow Relaxation
- Magical Forest for Children
- Sunrise on the Beach Mindfulness
Have you ever used breathing exercises to help you fall asleep?
CHECK OUT THESE RELATED POSTS:
- 9 Ways to Have Anxiety Free Night’s Sleep
- 5 Bedtime Essentials for a Better Night’s Sleep
- 6 Easy Ways to Fall Asleep When You Can’t
Did you know that there is online therapy?
Online Therapy is a complete online therapy toolbox.
Your therapy toolbox includes:
- Live video, voice, or text chat session with your therapist
- 8 easy-to-follow sections, including 25 worksheets
- Activity plan, journal, and tests
- Yoga and meditation videos
What I love about Online Therapy is that there are several life-changing options and therapists available, and you don’t even have to leave the comfort of your home.
This means you never need to worry before getting help.
Get 20% off your first month with my exclusive link.
In this FREE 16-page, detailed eBook, I offer all the inside knowledge I personally use on my self-love journey.