DISCLOSURE: I am not a mental health professional. If you need help finding a mental health care provider, call 1-800-662-HELP (4357) or visit BetterHelp to call, message, or video chat a certified therapist online for an affordable monthly price. This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I may receive compensation from Better Help or other sources if you purchase products or services through the links provided on this page. You can read my full disclaimer.
This post contains affiliate links. All opinions are 100% my own.
There comes a time when our relationships become routine. We get married, have 10,000 babies, and lose the spark we once had. We wake up, say hi to each other, go to work, come home, say hi again, and go to bed. Then we get up and do it all over again the next day.
This is something I try very hard to avoid. I never want to lose that spark.
The best relationships are when you get along like best friends. I can honestly say I have never been bored in my entire relationship of four years.
For cereal, just laying in the dark is entertaining enough. Me and my boyfriend try anything to keep the other one laughing.
Here’s a list of 30 unexpected ways we’ve had fun in our relationship.
30 Unexpected Ways to Have Fun with Your Partner
- Put on a ridiculously bad movie and make fun of it the whole way through
- Flip through all the TV channels and watch only 15 seconds of each
- Have some late night tea and crumpets
- Swap clothes with your partner
- Randomly start talking with accents
- Do some acro partner yoga together
- Paint each other’s fingernails. Yes. I’m talking to you, men.
- Take a drive and sing loud and obnoxiously to the radio
- Read each other’s horoscope
- Reminisce about how you first met
- Go on an IKEA date and sit on all the couches
- Put the TV on mute and make up your own commentary
- Play video games until 2 O’clock in the morning
- Paint masterpieces with finger paint
- Go grocery shopping at Trader Joe’s
- Give your partner an unexpected striptease
- Sit on the roof and watch the stars twinkling
- Play hide and go seek in an empty house
- Read a book out loud to each other
- Give each other a much needed back massage
- Go hiking at a forest preserve together
- Squeeze your hands in some Play-Doh
- Play fetch with your dog together
- Push each other on a swing at the park
- Go on a bike ride together
- Have a HGTV marathon
- Lay in the grass and name the shapes of the clouds
- Randomly slow dance with each other in public
- Add “That’s what she said” into every possible conversation
- Take very unattractive pictures with each other
What are some of the things you and your partner do to keep your relationship spark alive?
- 7 Ways to Show Your Partner You Care Every Single Day
- How to Overcome a Rough Patch by Strengthening Your Relationship
- 6 Tips For When You Find Yourself Dating Your Coworker
1. BEATING 50 PERCENT
Navigator’s Council: A Marriage Journal is both a weekly journal and a weekly rhythm for your marriage. The foundation of the journal is six questions that you’ll ask each other once a week and record your answers. Each week also includes a short devotional and a week-long calendar to help foster good conversation and make sure you and your partner are on the same page.
2. THE 5 LOVE LANGUAGES
We all have a love tank, and everybody loves and feels love differently. Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Physical Touch, Receiving Gifts, and Acts of Service make up the five love languages. The 5 Love Languages has been a game-changer for me and my boyfriend. Very eye-opening.
3. MEN ARE FROM MARS, WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS
Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus is a classic. For years, the theory behind it has helped save countless relationships. I know it’s definitely opened my eyes to how men, like my boyfriend, communicate. It’s helped us understand each other more, and I’m so grateful.