DISCLOSURE: I am not a mental health professional. If you need help finding a mental health care provider, call 1-800-662-HELP (4357) or visit BetterHelp to call, message, or video chat a certified therapist online for an affordable monthly price. This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I may receive compensation from Better Help or other sources if you purchase products or services through the links provided on this page. You can read my full disclaimer.
Don’t you ever wish you could tell anxiety to shut up?
I’ve had anxiety since I was at least 4 years old, but it took until the last year or so to really try and get my anxiety in check.
I’ve spent a lot of time trying to fight my anxiety or avoiding certain things that made me uncomfortable, but that only made my anxiety worse.
One thing I’ve learned is that you shouldn’t fight your anxiety.
You should try and accept the emotions you’re feeling.
Try to sit with the uncomfortable for as long as you can.
This probably won’t get rid of your anxiety, but it will help you realize that your anxiety isn’t going to kill you.
Another way to try to accept and relieve your anxiety is to tell it exactly how you’re feeling.
Every once in a while you gotta tell your anxiety to just shut the hell up.
How to Tell Your Anxiety to Shut Up
- Fuck you
- You are my bitch
- You have no control over me anymore
- I’m allowed to make mistakes
- Your advice is terrible
- Nobody asked you
- I’m tired of your shit
- Quit breathing my air
- Learn to hold your tongue
- Shut your face
- Enough already
- Shut your pie hole
- Put a sock in it
- Pipe down
- Cut the crap
- Uh-huh Uh-huh Uh-huh
- Zip it
- Be quiet
- You’re making me upset
- Quit your complaining
- Shut your peeper
- Knock it off
- Pretty please, will you stop talking?
- Don’t make me put a muzzle on you
- Shut your trap
- Can it!
- Stop talking already
- Are you done yet?
- You’re taking up too much space again
- No one cares what you have to say
- Go back to bed
- You’re just being cranky
- Enough with your jibber jabber
- Brain, please, stop
- Yeah, I hear ya. I hear ya
- Nobody likes a complainer
- I’m gonna ask you to lose your attitude
- Hush it
- Cut it out
- Quit whining
- Shut the fuck up
- Great advice. I’ll take it and shove it up your butt
- Put a cork in it
- Quit yapping
- “DID I STUTTER?!” – Stanely, The Office
- Keep it down
- Button your lip
- Here we go again…
- I will control you
- I am better than you
- I am better without you
- I am powerful.
- You are no longer powerful
- You are not going to hurt me anymore
- I will be victorious
Telling Your Anxiety to Shut Up
Keep in mind, you are almost 100% not going to be able to use any of these when you’re having a panic attack.
I use these when I’m facing my everyday, inconvenient anxiety that I have because of my generalized anxiety and social disorder.
Have you ever told your anxiety to shut up? What phrases have you used?
- 10 Common Bad Habits Making Your Anxiety Worse
- 10 Self-Care Essentials for Managing Your Anxiety
- 85 Calming Affirmations for Relieving Anxiety and Panic Attacks
Better Help is the largest online counseling platform worldwide. It makes professional counseling available anytime, anywhere, through a computer, tablet or smartphone.